alert NDLS
Brexit Update - For information and FAQ’s on Brexit and driving licences click here

Licensing requirements and safety regulations that apply to motorcycles and mopeds.

Licensing categories

There are four licensing categories for motorcycles

  • Riders can progress through the categories (progressive access) in some cases by doing prescribed training rather than taking a driving test.
  • A driver can drive the most powerful bike at 24 without any previous experience i.e. direct access.
CategoryVehicle typeMinimum age*
AM Mopeds and Light quadricycles. 16 years
A1 Motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cubic centimetres, with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1 kW/kg. Motor tricycles with a power rating not exceeding 15 kW. 16 years
A2 Motorcycles with a power rating not exceeding 35 kW, with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power. 18 years
A Motorcycles and Motor tricycles. 24 years or 20 with progressive access

Other regulations

Both rider and pillion must wear helmets while on a public road.

You must hold a current driving licence or learner permit for a motorcycle or moped.

You must display a current motor tax disc and have insurance cover before you can take your motorcycle or moped on a public road.

Pillion passengers:
It is a penal offence to carry a passenger if you hold a learner permit. And if you have a full licence, make sure your licence and insurance policy allow you to do so.

The current limit for drink driving is 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, 107mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine or 35mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath.

These are permissible but must be properly constructed and fitted. They must have correct lighting and be adjoining the left side of the motorcycle.

Check this page regularly for new safety regulations for motorcyclists.

More about motorcycles

Vehicle standards External Link for motorcycles