Well done on your first step towards becoming a fully licensed driver. Your learner permit allows you to drive on all public roads, except motorways, for the purpose of learning to drive. All learner permit holders, with the exception of those who hold a learner permit in category A1, A2, A, AM, or W, must be accompanied at all times by an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) or someone who holds a full, valid driving licence in the same category for more than two years
You can apply for your driving test when you hold a learner permit however first time learner permit holders must hold their learner permit for six months and complete Essential Driver Training (EDT) or Initial Basic Training (IBT) before sitting the driving test. A reduced EDT programme is available for drivers who currently hold a full car licence (category B) from a country that does not have a licence exchange agreement with Ireland.
Please read the requirements and restrictions that must be followed when holding a learner permit.
To apply online for a first-time learner permit
You can now quickly and easily apply for your learner permit online. No need to complete paper forms, make appointments or visit an NDLS centre in person.
All you need is the following:
- A Public Services Card and verified MyGovID.
- To have successfully passed the driver theory test in the category you are applying for in the previous 2 years
- Fully completed eyesight report form dated within one month, if required in your case.
- Fully completed medical report form dated within one month, if required in your case.
- Proof of your address dated within the last six months if your current address differs from the one you provided when you applied for your PSC.
- Proof that you are normally resident in Ireland if your place of birth and nationality are outside the EU/EEA.
- Completed relevant driver certificate of professional competence (CPC), if required.
- Your application fee of €35.00. You can pay by credit or debit card. If you are aged 70 years or over you are exempt from paying the fee.