Following the ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement on Friday 31 Jan 2020, the UK are no longer a member of the EU. Under the arrangements in place, UK/NI driving licences held by residents of Ireland will continue to be valid up to 31 December 2020 (the end of the transition period). As and from the 31 December 2020 a UK licence held by residents of Ireland will no longer be valid to drive here in Ireland. For that reason UK licence holders resident in Ireland should take steps to exchange their licence for an Irish one well in advance of that date.
If you do not submit your original UK/NI licence with your exchange application the NDLS will be unable to validate your application without significant delays.
To exchange your UK licence you must complete a licence application form and present this, the correct fee and your UK licence at any NDLS centre. You can make an appointment online at www.ndls.ie to attend any of our 36 NDLS centres. No walk-in service will be available.
For further information on how to exchange a UK or Northern Ireland driving licence please click here
To complete an application to exchange a UK or Northern Ireland licence you will need to submit:
- Fully completed application form for a Driving licence D401
- You must surrender your current or most recent UK/NI driving licence (if your licence has expired by less than ten years or does not have a category start date you will need to provide an original letter of entitlement / driver statement from the relevant licensing authority)
- If you do not have your most recent driving licence in your possession, you will need to present an original letter of entitlement / driver statement from the appropriate licensing authority and must complete the lost or stolen licence declaration on the application form and have it witnessed by a member of An Garda Síochána.
- Not surrendering your licence with the application will result in your application taking at least 30 days to confirm the entitlement and process the application
- Photographic I.D.
- Proof of your personal public services number (PPSN)
- Evidence of address dated within the last six months is required.
- Evidence of residency entitlement, (if you hold a public services card and your place of birth or nationality are within the European Union/European Economic Area, it is adequate to present the PSC)
- Fully completed NDLS medical report form, dated within one month, if required in your case
- Evidence of certificate of professional competence (CPC), if required
- If exchanging a Northern Ireland licence it must be accompanied by the counterpart
- Application fee of €55
We would urge all UK licence holders to apply early for exchange as leaving it to the last days prior to Brexit could result in long delays in NDLS centres, unsustainable demand and longer processing times for those applications successfully lodged.
You can make an online appointment for any of the 36 NDLS centres. No walk-in service will be available.