alert NDLS
If you have a Public Services Card (PSC) and have a verified MyGovID account you may be eligible to apply to renew your licence/permit Online.


How to Apply

Motor vehicles in Ireland are divided into different categories for driver licensing purposes. This is a standard practice throughout the European Union. Ireland has 15 categories in total, ranging from motorcycles to agricultural vehicles

Where to Apply

To be eligible to apply for an Irish driving licence you must be what's termed 'normally resident' in Ireland, ie living here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

What to Bring

However, if you have family here yet are working or studying abroad for a specific period you may still be regarded as being normally resident in Ireland provided you return here regularly. Working abroad on a specific task or attending a foreign university or college does not mean you have transferred your normal residence to another country.

Do you need to contact us?

We are currently experiencing large volumes of calls.


Do you need to contact the RSA? The Road Safety Authority  deal with the following areas:
Car Driver Training (EDT)
Motor Cycle Training (IBT)
Professional Training (CPC)
Learner Permits
If you need to contact the RSA click here

Do you need to contact the DTT? The Driver Theory Test deals with the following areas:
Driver Theory Test
Driver CPC
Revision Material
If you need to contact the DTT click here


If you wish to make a complaint click here

If you still wish to contact us click here