Lost or stolen licence

Find out the cost and duration of your licence: what to do if your driving licence/learner permit gets lost or stolen, plus how to exchange a foreign driving licence for an Irish one.

Cost to replace licence/learner permit

The fee to replace a lost driving licence is:

Duplicate licence (if original is lost/stolen or destroyed) - €35

The licence/learner permit will be issued for the remaining period of the original licence/learner permit.

Lost/stolen licences, learner permits and licence exchange

Important note -please ensure to complete any forms in block capitals using a black ballpoint pen. The application form must only be printed and not photocopied for quality control purposes.

If you licence/learner permit is out of date and has been lost or stolen, you must

1. complete a D401 for a Full Licence application and a D201 for a Learner Permit application at your local Garda station, forms are also available at Garda Stations, NDLS centres, Driving Test centres, Driving Theory Test centres.

2. Then bring the completed Driving Licence Application form (D401) or Learner Permit (D201) to any NDLS centre with the following documents:

  • The appropriate fee
  • Photographic ID
  • Documentation to verify your PPSN
  • A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case

Free-in-lieu licence

Free-in-lieu licences are issued (provided your driving licence is current) in the following cases:

  • Change of name/address
  • Removal of endorsement
  • If an error has been made in the issue of the licence (eg, incorrect date of birth)

In all cases you must apply to an NDLS centre with a completed application form.

Exchange of driving licence

When coming to live in Ireland, the holder of a valid driving licence from the EU may drive on that licence as long as it is in date. They must then apply to exchange their driving licence for an Irish one. They can also apply to exchange their licence for an Irish one at any time within ten years of the expiry of the licence.

The holder of a valid driving licence issued by a 'recognized state' or from European Economic Area(EEA) - Norway, Liechenstein and Iceland can drive on that licence for one year after taking up residence or the expiry date of the licence, whichever is sooner.

The following countries are seen as 'recognised states' for the purposes of driving licence exchange:


  • Australia
  • Gibraltar
  • Guernsey
  • Isle of Man
  • Japan
  • Jersey
  • New Zealand
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Switzerland

Application for exchange to an equivalent Irish licence must be made no later than one year of expiry of the licence.

All applicants for exchange must complete the D401 Full Licence applicaiton form(PDF), and bring it to any NDLS centre with the following:

  • The appropriate fee
  • Your current full licence
  • Documentation to verify your identity
  • Documentation to verify your PPSN
  • A completed NDLS Medical report form if required in your case