Incomplete Medical Forms and incorrect proof of PPSN is the reason most licence or permit application forms aren’t accepted.
Please check that these are in order before you go to the NDLS Centre to avoid a wasted journey.

To minimise any potential delays, we strongly recommend that you carefully review the list of documents required when applying for a learner permit or full licence before you attend one of the NDLS centres as not having the correct original documents could mean your application can't be processed. The list of acceptable documents is available here.

Upgrading your licence

How to add new categories to your licence

Add a new category

When you have successfully passed a driving test in a new vehicle category, the additional category must be added to your driving licence. The fee for this service is €35.

Simply apply in person at an NDLS centre

Important note -please ensure to complete any forms in block capitals using a black ballpoint pen. The application form must only be printed and not photocopied for quality control purposes.

All holders of full driving licences for categories C1 (large van/small truck), C (rigid truck), D1 (minibus), D (bus), C1E (large van/small truck with trailer), CE (articulated truck), D1E (minibus with trailer) or DE (bus with trailer) must produce a medical report (completed by a doctor) to add any of these categories to their licence.

If you have previously submitted a medical report for one of these categories and wish to add another category, the report may still be valid. Contact the NDLS to check.


Change of personal details

The licence will be issued in the name as shown on your photographic ID unless you have changed your name

If your name is now different from that shown on your photographic ID or that previously used on your driving licence/permit you must ALSO supply documentary evidence of change of name:

Change of name upon marriage: Customers wishing to change their name after marriage must submit an original official UK or Irish civil marriage/partnership certificate to support this change in name. Official civil marriage/partnership certificates can only be accepted from Ireland or the UK, any customer who has been married in a country other than Ireland or the UK may submit their Passport, National Identity Card or Irish Travel Document as evidence to support this change in name.

Change of name upon divorce/separation: the customer must submit their Irish /UK Birth/Adoption certificate and 2 pieces of evidence of usage of their new name for example a utility bill, correspondence with a government body, payslip. An Irish or UK decree of divorce or legal separation agreement showing details of previous marriage will be sufficient without evidence of usage.

Change of name following Deed Poll: the customer must submit the official UK/Irish decree of deed poll and 2 pieces of evidence of usage of the new name. Evidence of usage may be a utility bill, correspondence with a government body or a payslip.

Change of name using the Irish version of name: the customer must submit 2 pieces of evidence of usage of the new name, evidence of usage may be a utility bill, correspondence with a government body or a payslip.

The evidence provided must demonstrate a clear link between the name on your identity document and your current name.

Change of address

A change of address must be accompanied with proof of new address as outlined in "how to apply".

To change the personal details of your licence you must apply in person at any NDLS centre with a completed application form D401 and all necessary documentation as outlined above and in the "How to Apply" page

Currently change of personal details application are free of charge